Sunday, April 11, 2010

May the Best Man Win

Most people know I am not so sporty. When Sam and I were dating and first married, I can't tell you how many people (when meeting me for the first time) would say, "So, you must play soccer!" Apparently it was impossible for a good number of people to believe that Sam would give any girl the time of day who didn't play. I should have then told all those people that not only did I not play soccer, but that I didn't play any other sport either! How embarrassing for Sam :).

Sam tried to get me to play anything, but with no hand-eye coordination it was difficult to find anything that looked even remotely hopeful. And then there was Sam who could play anything. How annoying. At one point we went to the driving range. I remember Sam trying to be patient but I could tell he was frustrated... he just didn't understand how a general golf swing wasn't "somewhat natural." Then he asked if I had ever swung a baseball bat, to which I replied "When I was forced to in high school gym." Sam was flabbergasted. So even though I was stinking it up on the driving range, I actually liked it.

Here's the part I'm not sure I should admit. I went and took about a bazillion golf lessons from a golf pro (group and individual). So why not admit that? Wait until you see me play... you would have absolutely no idea I ever took any sort of lesson. So in theory I can tell you everything, but somehow my body just doesn't do it well. I think I now look like maybe swinging a club is "somewhat natural," but that's about it. I haven't been golfing now since Macy was born. So much for the golf clubs/shoes in my basement.

Having said all of that... I love Phil Mickelson. He's always been my favorite (as much as I get into sports that is). And Sam knows better than to ever pick Phil as his player in a video game. We recorded the last round of the Masters and watched it after Macy went to bed. I love watching golf when you can fast forward all the crap you don't want to see... which for me is most of it :). Still, it made me happy that Phil won.

3 comments:

Julie Winder said...

Danielle, I love reading your blog. You are such a good writer. Just another one of your many talents. Hope YW's is treating you good. Missed girls night last week!

Sis. Connell said...

YES! I love Phil, and I don't watch golf at all!

PSC said...

That's like everyone asking me if I dance. Apparently dancers only date dancers.